Madison County has nearby access to one of the world’s biggest deepwater ports, Port Oswego. Port Oswego is located on Lake Ontario which connects to Madison County through Oneida Lake.
The location of the Port of Oswego is the crossroads of the Northeastern North American shipping market. Port of Oswego:
- Is the most productive port in North America and a leading international port with nearly 120 vessels and more than one million tons of cargo moving through the port on an annual basis.
- Is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to vessels from around the world.
- Is home to eleven companies which transport a plethora of products such as corn, salt, cement, and windmills.
- Serves international clients and cargoes spanning the globe from Brazil and the Netherlands to Russia and Indonesia.
- Has gained a world-class reputation for efficient and effective handling of bulk, breakbulk and project cargoes.
- Is positioned as the first U.S. port of call on the Great Lakes.
- Offers multi-modal connectivity that includes marine highway, on-dock rail, and immediate, efficient connections to the Interstate system.
- Offers immediate access to Rt. 481 with connectivity to Interstates 81 and 90
International clients and cargoes span the globe from Brazil and the Netherlands to Russia and Indonesia.
- Aluminum – ingots, recycled material
- Steel – rebar, billets
- Project cargo – windmill components
- Heavy lift – nuclear power components
- Petroleum products
- Dock Configuration
- 1,900 lineal feet of berthing space
- 26’6″ – Seaway draft – available at the berth
- Dockside rail with mainline service by CSX
- 100,000 square feet of warehouse storage immediately available adjacent to the dock
- 400,000 square feet of open storage at the terminal, with another 15 acres available
- 50,000 tons of bulk storage in domes
- Fleet of forklifts up to 8,000 lb. on site with availability for larger lifts
- Mobile conveyors with a total bushel capacity in excess of 30,000 per hour
- Truck and rail scales
- Trackmobile on site for movement of rail cars
- Lifting capacity from 25 tons to 600 tons with outside crane contractor
- Dockside rail and mainline service by CSX
- Certified truck and rail scales
- Mobile conveyor systems
- Fleet of forklifts and front end loaders
- 1,100 lineal feet of berthing space
- 23’ of draft available
- 55,000 square foot asphalt pad available for bulk and
project cargo storagw
- Silo storage for cement – ESSROC
- Bulk storage for petroleum and liquid storage –
- Sprague Energy
– 42,000 tons of liquid storage currently available
- Silo storage for cement – Lafarge (private dock and terminal)
Port Tenants and Customers
- Rio Tinto – Alcan
- Sprague Energy
- Perdue Agribusiness – Oswego Grain
- Crop Production Services
- JB Commodities
- Trafigura AG
Port Contact Information
Port of Oswego Authority (60 miles from Canastota in Madison County, New York)
1 East Second Street
Oswego, New York 13126
Tel: (315) 343-4503 ext 109
Contact us to learn more about the advantages of growing your business in Madison County, New York.